I've mentioned this before, but for those of you new to the blog, I have not had very good experiences in the Hematology/Oncology Clinic in the past. The first time we fought this cancer there were several events that happened in clinic that were frustrating, so I have always kind of dreaded going there. The days are usually long and sometimes the staff could be a little bit friendlier.
With that said, deciding to do 5 full days of chemotherapy in the clinic was not as easy of a choice as it might seem. We love being at home every night rather than in the hospital, but those days in the clinic can sometimes just be downright miserable.
This week, however, went surprisingly well. I went into it expecting it to be awful, and it actually ended up being a pretty good week. Monday was the only day that was a little bit on the negative side, but that was really not in their control. They were just so busy that day that we waited about an hour in the waiting room before Brynlee was weighed and had her vitals and was put into a room. Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday we were kept in a room while she received her chemo because Brynlee was still so gunky in her chest, but Thursday and Friday we were sent to the infusion area for chemo. Here is our week in pictures:
Day #1
Day #2
By the way, these next two pictures are of the chemo. The two drugs she gets both come in syringes.
Day #3 - Cheetos, of course!
Day #4 - We were fighting like a Super Hero.
No pictures from Day #5, but we did get a picture of some walker walking the day before.
We also had the opportunity to meet with Dr. Staddon and Dr. Fluchel on Wednesday. We mainly discussed how much shrinkage needed to occur in order to stop chemo, and we also discussed the odds of relapse again and what that future would hold for us as far as treatment is concerned. We also discussed her Horner syndrome and her eye. I was reassured that her vision is not affected by the Horner syndrome, but I still think that they are somewhat perplexed at the timing of it.
We will have scans in about a week and a half for two days, and then we are scheduled to start chemo again in two weeks from Monday. There is always the slight possibility that the tumor could have shrunk enough that we can stop chemo as they told us to expect 2-6 rounds, but I am expecting that we will probably need to do 4 rounds of chemo. Blair thinks we will have to do 6 rounds. I guess only time (and the scans) will tell.
So far, Brynlee has been doing great with this round of chemo. We feel very blessed that she is doing so well and still has the energy and desire to work on some of her physical therapy that we do with her at home while she is going through chemo. So we are just hoping for no fevers (as always) and to stay healthy and that her blood counts will recover quickly so we can start the next round of chemo on schedule.
I don't know that we could ever accurately express our gratitude for all that has been done and continues to be done for our family. We have been the recipients of many thoughtful acts of kindness, many of which have left us no way of saying thank you.
Thank you!





I am so glad she is handling things well!
ReplyDeleteWhat a champ! I love that picture of Brynlee in the walker. She is obviously a strong girl.
ReplyDeleteThese pictures are so awesome!!
ReplyDeletei love the picture with her in the walker too! fighter!!!
ReplyDelete