We participated again this year in the Salt Lake City CureSearch Walk. CureSearch is an organization that raises money for childhood cancer research. We didn't have as much support this year for the walk, but at least we did it.
Brynlee loved being able to see Annie, one of our favorite therapy dogs, and we even gave Annie a Kickin' It With Brynlee wristband for her collar that she shares with therapy dog Elliott. We love Annie, Elliott, and Joe (their owner). They have always been such big supporters of our cancer kids.
Brynlee was able to take her first airplane trip over Fall Break. I guess I feel silly about sharing every detail about our family's life outside of the cancer and spinal cord injury world on this blog, so for details about the trip and why we went, check out our family blog at www.leonardliving.blogspot.com. Ask me for an invite as it is a private blog. However, here are a few of the highlights:
We had dinner with Veazey, who is the artist that painted Brynlee's shoes. We are so glad that we were able to meet her and have dinner with her. The girls loved Veazey!
And here are a few other pictures of Brynlee on our trip having lots of fun.
Somehow we survived travelling with the wheelchair, car seats, suitcases, and her medicine. Overall, people were so kind to us and I had many people offer to help. We had so many comments about Brynlee and her wheelchair - people absolutely amazed by her wheelie skills, including a fellow wheelie man. I was glad that Brynlee had her wheelchair, but being a 2-year-old, she is still learning that she can't always go wherever she wants whenever she wants, so that is an ongoing battle, and I am trying to teach her that there are some moments when she simply needs to stay put and that she has to have patience. I hope it gets easier as she gets older and can understand better, but I think other parents of 2 year olds know that sometimes you have the stroller for a reason - so your child can't get away! Unfortunately, I couldn't take both the stroller and wheelchair, but I know it will get better. I can't even imagine if she had a power chair. We would be in trouble!
We also had the opportunity to attend the Make A Wish Trick or Treat party last night. The girls got to go trick or treating, frosted cookies, decorated pumpkins, played games, and made milk jug lanterns. We were able to see one of our wish grantors, and hopefully this week we might be able to narrow down our dates for Brynlee's Make A Wish trip. Everyone at Make A Wish is so kind to our family. We really appreciate all that they do!
As for a medical update, it's pretty much the same old stuff, different day. Brynlee is about a week into cycle #6 of her Accutane treatment. I am hoping that this is our last cycle, but I wouldn't be completely devastated if they decided to do 6 more cycles. We will know after scans in November. Things have been a lot easier with the Accutane since she learned how to swallow her pills. We still have to manage her dry skin and chapped lips issues, oh, and don't forget the irritability, on the Accutane, but I would much rather deal with that stuff any day over central line care and chemo and all that comes with that. We also have some appointments and evaluations coming up for the spinal cord injury side of things, so I am hoping that these go well. I will update as these happen.
As always, thanks for following Brynlee's story!





No comments:
Post a Comment