Greetings from Happy Valley - Home of way too many Y-wearing young adults.
Monday, our first day, we had a short day of therapy of about an hour. Brynlee was evaluated by one of the physical therapists and put in her neuro suit and did a little bit of work. She was less than agreeable to this session. Even though she cried and cried, they still got some work out of her. We headed back to our hotel, enjoyed the complimentary dinner, and went to bed early, one of us sleeping better than the other.
Today we woke up early, got our breakfast, took an early nap, got our work done, had lunch, and then we had our first full 4-hour day of therapy. My plan of putting Brynlee to bed a little bit earlier and having her take an early nap worked out perfectly. We arrived at therapy and Brynlee was happy and chattering away...and then Sergio came in to get her and just the sight of him made her burst into tears and cling to my neck. We went into the gym and Sergio immediately began stretching Brynlee. I asked him if he wanted me to stay or go. He said it was my choice but that he thought she would do better if I wasn't there. So I headed to the Family Room and watched through the window as Brynlee continued to cry and cry and call for me. Now when I say that she cried, it's not as if she was bawling and flopping around on the ground, she was just crying and being very vocal that she wanted her mom and didn't want to work. Perhaps I have become hard hearted in this journey, but Brynlee crying does not phase me. In fact, it is reassuring to have people who are pushing her even through the tears and are still working her and don't let the tears bother them. At regular outpatient PT, Brynlee's rebellious nature is more than they can handle apparently.
Anyway, Sergio stretched Brynlee and worked with her in the neuro suit for the first 2 hours as I watched through the window.
.jpg)
After the stander, it was time to hit the monkey cage. As soon as Mark walked into the room to get Brynlee out of the stander, she started to cry again. I stayed with Brynlee in the room this time because she wanted to keep watching Sesame Street, and she did really well. There were still times where she fussed and wanted me to rescue her, but overall she did really well for the final hour. I also played some of her favorite songs and she enjoyed dancing a little bit too.
Overall, it wasn't the most ideal first full day, but I was okay that it wasn't a complete disaster and hope that things can only get better from here.
Brynlee was pretty worn out from today; however, I think the crying wore her out more than the therapy. She ate a ton for dinner and afterwards headed off to bed early.
They have all sorts of quotes on the walls at Now I Can, so here is my quote o' the day:
"Dreams are something to work for...not to wait for." Anonymous.
Keep dreaming big Brynlee!
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
she looks so sweet in these pictures. sounds like a lot of work. hang in there.
ReplyDeleteGood luck and Good job Brynlee from the Rees' in C-town :)
ReplyDelete