All journal entries and pictures contained within this blog are the property of the blog author, and may not be copied, reproduced, or used for any purpose without the consent of the blog author. If you are interested in using any of the information or images contained here, please leave a comment for the blog owner with a brief description of your project, and an email address where you can be contacted.

Friday, September 30, 2011

A Day in the Hem/Onc Clinic

Brynlee's blood counts had been low this week, so yesterday after they dropped again we were told that she needed to have a blood transfusion. So this morning Brynlee and I headed off to the hospital to have her transfusion. This was Brynlee's second transfusion. The first one she had in the PICU about a week or so after she had her first round of chemo, so I was kind of expecting this might happen. I knew it was going to be about a 4-hour ordeal, but it turned out to be more like a 5-hour ordeal that felt like a 10-hour ordeal. Sitting in the hospital/clinic is exhausting, and I feel so drained afterwards.

They started by drawing blood and then I knew we would have to wait for awhile before the blood she would get in her transfusion would be ready and sent up. So we sat and sat and sat and waited and waited and waited. They told me we could go get lunch or something, but Brynlee won't keep a mask on and with her counts being so low I really didn't want her out in the cafeteria or somewhere. So we waited. I sent Blair a text and might have even cursed in it, and that must have done the trick because finally after almost three hours after we got there her blood arrived and the transfusion was started.

Overall, Brynlee did great and now hopefully she will stay healthy and get those blood counts back up.

1 comment:

  1. Just figured out how to post a comment from my phone. It's great to read your blog and see how good Brynlee is doing. You and Blair are strong and wonderful parents and Brynlee is blessed to have you guys and your strength.

    ReplyDelete