All journal entries and pictures contained within this blog are the property of the blog author, and may not be copied, reproduced, or used for any purpose without the consent of the blog author. If you are interested in using any of the information or images contained here, please leave a comment for the blog owner with a brief description of your project, and an email address where you can be contacted.

Friday, June 22, 2012

The New Contraption

It has been a very long week, again.

We found out that our insurance will not pay for the stander thing that our therapist and our doctor wanted us to have. I am grateful for our insurance, but on Tuesday I wanted to tell them where they could go and where they could shove it when they got there. Apparently these standers are never covered under any circumstance because they are considered "experimental." Standing is experimental apparently. Our goal was to get Brynlee weightbearing in the stander to help with her joints and I guess there are digestion benefits as well. But no, no, standing is experimental. So when we got to therapy on Wednesday I asked our therapist if there was something else that was maybe cheaper or not so experimental that could provide similar benefits that the insurance might consider to be less risky. She didn't know, but we put Brynlee in this little walker thing to see how she did in it, and they let me bring it home since they don't have any other kiddos using it right now.

It's actually a little bit too big for Brynlee and she is supposed to be facing the other way, but we are going to try it out and see if we can get her to use her legs a little bit. I have some straight-leg wraps that I have yet to try and put on her legs while in the thing to actually force her to stand while she is in it. We will see how that goes.

We also learned that our insurance denied our home e-stim machine too, but I was told that we could appeal that one, and if our doctor makes a "really, really good case for it" then it might get approved.

I have a love/hate relationship with all of this. I love when things go well, hate when things don't.

We are backing off of therapy for awhile. Brynlee's not progressing enough to justify weekly visits, and I am burned out with it all anyway; however, that doesn't mean I get to back off with our home therapy. I find myself just wanting to be a mom; I don't want to be a therapist. We are also definitely going to hold off on the wheelchair. After talking it over with our therapist, I felt justified in my thoughts that a wheelchair was not the right thing to pursue at this time. Besides, I think that the insurance company might consider that "experimental" or something since she is so young.

1 comment:

  1. I guess I haven't checked your blog in a while. I'm sorry things are so frustrating right now. Namely, insurance companies. It's so not fair how they get to make the important decisions that affect your sweet baby girl.

    ReplyDelete