All journal entries and pictures contained within this blog are the property of the blog author, and may not be copied, reproduced, or used for any purpose without the consent of the blog author. If you are interested in using any of the information or images contained here, please leave a comment for the blog owner with a brief description of your project, and an email address where you can be contacted.

Saturday, July 7, 2012

Taking A Break

After our appointment with Dr. Lewelt a few weeks ago and the insurance denying our stander, I decided that I was burned out on the whole therapy taking care of Brynlee thing, so I gave myself a break. Now this is not to say that I haven't been doing any therapy with the Brynster, but we cut way back. It's hard when you don't see much progress to really push it, and between being a married single mom for the past three months and wanting Brynlee to enjoy her childhood, I called it quits. In some ways, I think the insurance denying our stander was maybe a blessing. I can't explain it, but I am honestly sort of relieved that we can't get it.

The break has been well needed, this mom has been less stressed out, and I think all three of my children have been happier. I'm not sure what the future holds for Brynlee. I know that I need to find some kind of balance for her and for me because I honestly do not have enough hours in a single day to do all of the things that they want me to do for her. First and foremost, I am a mother and not a therapist, and she is a child, and not a patient.

We will start the horse therapy again probably in August and will continue that through the fall. We have two physical therapy appointments for July and then we will reevaluate and set some new goals and go from there.

As for Brynlee, she is happy and doing well. She chatters up a storm and does have a few discernible words and phrases. She has finally taken to the sippy cup (only the soft topped ones) and regularly drinks milk and water from them. I still have yet to find another clear liquid that she will drink, so unless that changes in the next couple of weeks, we will be doing an NG tube down her nose for her CT scans that are coming up. :-(

She has been struggling with a nasty cold with a cough for the past week, but overall she has done well and hasn't been too miserable. I don't know what was more unsettling, the risk of her getting sick while on treatment or her getting sick off treatment. During treatment they have pretty basic guidelines about what to do when they get sick. Off of treatment, it's a little bit scary. Maybe only other cancer moms can relate, but I guess everything is just different for these cancer kids even after treatment is done.

But the most exciting news of all was when Brynlee was reunited with her Dad this past week. He has been working in Sicily for the past three months and just returned home on Tuesday. I think we are all very happy to not be Skyping anymore and to have him here.


1 comment:

  1. You deserve a break--you all do! I'm so glad that Blair is home. I can only imagine what having Collin gone for three months would be like. I'm glad you had an excuse to go to Italy for a visit though. May just being a kid and a mom will help all of you, especially Brynlee. You're in our prayers.

    ReplyDelete