Thank you again to everyone for supporting our CureSearch Walk team! It is not too late to join or donate, but I really cannot say thank you enough.
For the Cattle Sorting Fundraiser for our horse therapy program, there will be a drawing for some fun prizes, including a 32-inch TV, 2 cameras, a 170-piece Craftsman tool set, and much, much more. You do not have to be present to win, all I need is your name and phone number, and, of course, money for the tickets. Tickets are $5 each or 5 for $20. Again, all of this money goes to support our horse therapy program and the costs associated to run it. If you live within a reasonable distance to me or to Idaho Falls, I will be happy to bring you any prizes you may win. And don't forget to come and buy some baked goods from us on Saturday night. All of the info is in my previous blog post.
Now down to some Brynlee business. I have finally been able to put Brynlee's hair up into a little ponytail. It's been just over a year since I have been able to do this. It's kind of funny looking, but at least it is something.
So we have a lot going on in the next few months, and I hope that everything will turn out the way that we hope it will. I've blogged about some of the struggles that we face with Brynlee and her disability and what we should be doing to help her. One of the things that drives me crazy about it all is that Brynlee is not completely paralyzed, which, yes, this is a good thing. She does have movement in her legs and toes. I know that she can feel cold and some sensation in her legs, so in some ways this makes things harder because I know that there is something there, so we have to see how much we can get out of her rather than just accepting it for what she has. It's kind of like trying to solve a mystery of what combination of treatment is going to produce the best results. Of course, no one knows that, but it is enough to drive someone crazy (i.e., me). Anyway, I've done a lot of talking with a lot of people, including therapists, friends, really anyone who would listen, and I think we've been given some direction.
The first thing that has come up is a place in Provo called Now I Can. It is an intensive physical therapy program where you go for three weeks, Monday through Friday, for four hours each day. I initially thought that Brynlee couldn't handle such a program right now, but it just kept coming up. I saw something on TV about it on one of the local news stations, our HopeKids group was invited to their benefit concert, and I can't remember, but something else happened that brought it up too. So I have looked into it and contacted them, and they are excited at the prospect of being able to work with Brynlee. We still have to go to the screening appointment and have to get her a medical clearance, but I am hopeful that we can go and she can benefit from it, and we might even go before the end of the year if things all work out. It will be a sacrifice for our family to do this, but I think it is something that we need to try, and hopefully it will be well worth the sacrifice in the end.
We also have an appointment (not until December) to meet with a doctor at the Shriner's Hospital. We are hoping that we might be able to get some help from Shriner's with some of the medical equipment we can't get right now and whatever else they can offer us. This Shriner's Hospital in SLC mainly works with orthopedics, so I'm not sure how it will all work out, but after speaking to several people about Shriner's I thought it was worth a shot.
So in some ways it is kind of a hurry up and wait thing, yet again, but at least for now we kind of have some kind of a plan, or at least a plan that we are going to attempt.
Wish us luck!
i think brynlee is looking so BEAUTIFUL and grown up. sounds like you have a good plan. i hope it all works out and you can do that 3 week therapy. good luck with everything.
ReplyDelete