Yesterday the SLC CureSearch Walk was held at Sugar House Park, and the Kickin It With Brynlee team was there in full force. I don't have the official count, but over $140,000 was raised for childhood cancer research here by the teams who participated. Our little team raised $770. It was sort of a crazy event as this was only the second year that this walk has been held in Salt Lake, and they were able to have so much more participation than they did last year. This was a perfect way to finish off the month of September, which is Childhood Cancer Awareness Month.
Here are a couple of cute kids next to the poster of Brynlee that we had on display that my friend Patience helped me to design.
This is nearly our whole group. My friend, Brittney, helped do the lettering on the shirts. Don't they look great?! I will have to get a close-up picture of one the next time we wear them.
Here were the ladies that came from our ward. I love how I am always a full head above everyone else (yes, that would be some sarcasm).
Brynlee was honored with all of the other cancer kids that were in attendance up on the stage. She was given a medal, but by this point she was pretty tired and very fussy, so we didn't stay on stage for long. The other girl in the purple shirt next to her is also a neuroblastoma survivor named Chloe who finished treatment shortly after Brynlee did and is just a little bit older than Brynlee.
Here are the survivors on the stage. This is just a fraction of the kids who have been treated at PCMC or who are currently in treatment. I am hiding out behind that green balloon by the Chick-Fil-
A tent.
A tent.
It was a great morning, and hopefully we were able to raise some awareness about childhood cancer as well as help in the research efforts for it.
Last night we also had a cattle sorting fundraiser event for our horse therapy program. It was fun to see some of the horses that Brynlee rides in therapy each week out there sorting cattle and trotting around the arena. Cattle sorting is where a team of two sort the calves out by number from one pen to the next. It was a long night, but we enjoyed our time there. I may have even won myself a massage and pedicure in the silent auction.
Brynlee was even able to go out with one of her therapists, Valerie, around the arena a couple of times. Brynlee has really come to enjoy riding horses and petting them. She gets so excited every time she sees them. Yeah, so my camera doesn't take very good moving and/or indoor pictures. Sorry for the blur, but this was the best one.
Brynlee did end up coming down with a pretty good cold over the course of the day and night, but at least we made it through the day.
By the way, our next fundraiser event is on Saturday, October 13th for HopeKids in Farmington. I promise this is our last event for awhile, at least I hope! They are having a 5K run as well as a 1-mile family friendly walk with fun visitors along the route, and we would love to have anyone who wants to come to join us. It is free to come, but I would just ask that you make a donation. Thank you to those who have donated to our team for this event so far. I appreciate your generosity and support for this program. If you would like to donate to our HopeKids Kickin it with Brynlee team, go to http://www.firstgiving.com/fundraiser/kickinitwithbrynlee/hopekids-wasatch-adventure-2012
Thanks again!
No comments:
Post a Comment