Today we headed down to Riverton to the Primary Children's Outpatient Clinic for Brynlee's MRI and CT scans. Brynlee wasn't able to have any formula after 5:30 this morning, so I got up at 5:00 to have her eat a bottle that would hopefully tide her over. We arrived and we quickly got to work on her history and getting things squared away for the sedation. They used a different medication this time than they did the last time she had sedation for the MIBG scan, so it took about ten minutes to get her to go to sleep for the MRI scan. She did great and slept through the whole thing. The nurse brought her into the recovery room and picked me up and we headed to the CT scan. Brynlee woke up and then it took several more minutes and more sedation medication to get her back to sleep. Then we couldn't get her to wake up, so we let her sleep. I told the nurse that it was typically her nap time, so since her vitals looked good they just let her sleep. We finally got her to wake up enough to drink some apple juice and formula.
During this time the radiologist walked by and asked me if I wanted to see the images because there was "significant" shrinkage of the tumor. He said he thought he would offer because "If it were my kid I would want to know." So I immediately liked this guy. How nice of him to take time to do that. I thought I was going to have to wait until next week when we meet with the doctor. So we went to the "reading room" and he showed me her initial scan (I think I was looking at the CT scan) and then her scan today. It is amazingly different. Her trachea that was once almost completely flattened is round and "normal." Everything that was displaced by the tumor has been moved back to where they should be. There are now no parts in her spine where the tumor is completely compressing her spinal cord, although there is still some tumor in a couple of levels of her vertebrae but there is no compression on the spine and we could see spinal fluid the whole length of the thoracic spine. Honestly, I could have cried (but I didn't) it was so great to be able to see those images and see where we were a month ago and where we are now. I know it is still a long road before us, but it is so nice to get positive news.
So with that news it is time to really get to work with our therapy for Brynlee. The occupational therapist came yesterday and went over some things with us, so it is time to get Brynlee moving those legs and remembering that she has legs to move and use.
My sweet friend, Liz, that I haven't seen in 7 years who moved back to Utah last year (is that right?) brought me dinner to the hospital to bring home and it was so beautifully displayed in a box and so thoughtful. Thank you Liz! I am sure it will be delicious!
Fantastic!! I would have loved to see the images myself!! Nice guy, and wonderful friend!!
ReplyDelete