Brynlee had therapy today, and it didn't go very well. I hope that this is just a normal stage that she is going through where she is clingy and doesn't like strangers, but I just don't know. She has been more whiny lately. She did eventually warm up a little bit to the therapist, but by the time she warmed up the session was nearly over. For now, we just have to keep working on getting her core muscles strengthened so that she can be strong enough to walk if we ever get to that point. We also put the e-stim (electrical stimulation) device on her legs today, and she didn't really react to it and the therapist said she had it turned up pretty high, so either Brynlee cannot feel anything or her tolerance level is just high. I want to believe that she just has a high tolerance but only time will tell. She did kick her legs a few times while it was on, so I hope that she was reacting to it, but who knows. It would be so nice if she could tell us what was going on inside of her body. Basically it is just a rough age. The therapist said that we need to do therapy but that we most likely wouldn't see significant changes until she got older and could understand more what we want her to do. We also got bumped back from therapy every week to therapy every other week because she (the PT) felt there was no need to go every week with her reacting the way she has been.
I did, however, get Brynlee signed up to do the hippotherapy, which is horseback riding therapy. We start next week. I hope that Brynlee likes it and benefits from it. Brynlee's home therapist is also the director of an equestrian therapy program and was thrilled when I called her today to see if we could get started. Cindy thinks that it will really help with Brynlee's core muscle strength, and the PT thinks that it will also help with the motion of her pelvis because it will move her pelvis in the same way that mimicks walking or something along those lines.
I also was able to get Brynlee's next set of scans scheduled in a few weeks. I am starting to get a little bit anxious for these scans. I would love to be done with treatment and get that central line out. It would be wonderful if all the cancer had miraculously gone away, but I just don't think we could be so lucky.
Last week the hubby and I were able to go on a cruise to Mexico with my family. This year is my parent's 40th Anniversary, and they included us in the celebration and took us and my brothers and their wives on a cruise. It was so nice to get away for a week. Many prayers were answered. Everything went well with Brynlee while we were gone, and I was blessed with the ability to not think much about all of the stresses we are faced with right now and really didn't worry much about my girls while we were gone. Overall, we had a great trip and enjoyed seeing Cabo San Lucas and Puerto Vallarta and tolerated the rough days at sea. I will get a post up on my other blog about all of the fun we had with lots more pictures.
Here is a picture of us with my parents and my brothers and their wives.
i never really thought about how difficult therapy would be with a child that is too young to talk. i'm sure it will get easier with time. that just seems to be how things go. you guys all look so happy and sunkissed in that picture. what an awesome gift! glad you were both able to get away and leave your worries behind for a few days.
ReplyDelete