All journal entries and pictures contained within this blog are the property of the blog author, and may not be copied, reproduced, or used for any purpose without the consent of the blog author. If you are interested in using any of the information or images contained here, please leave a comment for the blog owner with a brief description of your project, and an email address where you can be contacted.

Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Doing Our Part

We were asked to be a part of the Neuroblastoma Epidemiology in North America study, which is hoping to find the cause for neuroblastoma. When Brynlee was diagnosed, we were asked to join the Children's Oncology Group's (COG) data base for research purposes, and through this database we were contacted about this study asking if we would participate. Basically it is not a treatment study, but myself, Blair, and Brynlee each have to submit saliva samples, and I have to fill out a lengthy questionaire that mostly asked me how much I ate of what kinds of foods. There were a few other questions, but anyway last night I worked on the questionnaire, and today I did the saliva samples for Brynlee and myself. Now Blair just needs to do his saliva sample. I will be honest to say that I am skeptical that what I ate had anything to do with Brynlee developing neuroblastoma, but it also can't be ruled out. There is a lot of debate about the development of cancer, even among the other moms that I have met who have cancer cuties. The fact is that we really do not know what caused any of our children to get cancer, and we probably will never know. I feel that there is really no reason to dwell on it; however, I am glad for the Children's Oncology Group for their efforts in children's cancer research and that they are looking for causes of cancer and that they are working on developing new treatments and understanding which treatments work best for the different kinds of cancers and the different subtypes and biology of each cancer. I know I promised to not bug everyone too much about the CureSearch Walk and donating, but this is just an example of what that money that we raise is going towards, studies like this one that we are participating in that will hopefully provide some new answers/developments in the world of neuroblastoma so that hopefully in the future there will be a cure for neuroblastoma and children like Brynlee will not have to go through what Brynlee has been through and will go through. 20-30 years ago, childhood cancer was essentially a death sentence. Now there are some cancers with 5-year survival rates of well over 80%. However, there are still a lot of childhood cancers, including high-risk neuroblastoma, with survival rates still down near 20%. We need more research and more help. Imagine where we could be in 20 years from now with continued research!  

I also received my Be The Match kit today to collect my DNA to be put on the national bone marrow registry, so I have been doing a lot of cheek swabbing and spitting today. Anyway, it took me less than 5 minutes to swab my cheeks with the cotton swabs. So easy and so quick, and maybe it could save a life. You just never know. I strongly encourage everyone who is eligible to join the registry to do so. It does not cost money, although they do accept donations, and it is quick and easy. Go to marrow.org to sign up and have them send you your kit. So easy!

Anyway, we are just doing our part, and I encourage you to do your part. Thank you! 

3 comments:

  1. So amazing what they can do now! You Leonards are fighters, keep hanging in there- it will all be worth it! Thanks for the info on the swab test, I didn't know that my spit could make a difference...wow! Who would have thought??? What amazing technology!

    Keep fighting!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so simple. Several years ago I had to give blood to be listed on the bone marrow registry. Spit it out people! No more needles.
    GMA

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm signing up!! You are so amazing, Stephanie! So much going on, and yet you are still able to look out for others. AMAZING woman, mother, wife...

    ReplyDelete